Monday, September 7, 2009

Educational Mission Statement

The purpose in which I am attending a post-secondary school is to broaden my knowledge in not only my area of interest, but in the world in general.  It is my belief that the best way to be prepared is to be knowledgeable.  I know we can't all be masters in every aspect of life but it certainly helps to have a small amount of knowledge in each area.  I am a very hard worker with an open mind.  For me to be open-minded, however, I feel I need not be ignorant.  I may not know every detail about the economy, the best war strategies, or how fast a meteor can travel, but knowing the basics of each area of study allows me to gain a deeper knowledge by understanding news stories, debating with peers, or even attending a course over that subject.  Most importantly, it helps me to better understand the world in which I live.

In the end, I will walk away from the University of South Dakota with a B.S. in Computer Science. A specific skill that I can use for the rest of my life.  But most importantly, I will walk away having the knowledge and willpower to take on anything I want, the confidence to face new challenges, and the ability to learn new skills if need be.  You never know when your world will be turned upside down.  I could lose both of my hands in a freak accident tomorrow and no longer to be able to program.  If that were to be happen I must be prepared to take on new challenges and to learn skills that doesn't require two hands.  It is this tpreparedness that I hope to get out of my well-rounded education.

No comments:

Post a Comment